Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 4: Lead Climbing

Man! I'm learning so many things. I'm scared I'll forget after I leave. Hahaha! Probably need to jot down some things so I won't forget.


So I learned how to clip in the quickdraws to the bolt and how to clip the rope into the quickdraws. The rope gets so heavy as you go higher!! It gets really tiring especially when you're going to rappel yourself down. Friggin' pulling up all those ropes to throw down was really taxing!


Anyway, so I successfully lead climbed all the routes that I climbed. Yay!! The highest that I went was a 5a (French Numerical System). It's a 5.8. Tony didn't believe me when I said I lead climbed a 5.8. What a doubtful boyfriend, hahaha. Either I got better at climbing or their rating is wrong. I doubt their rating is wrong though. :)


Then again, it might have something to do with the nature of the rock. I find it easier to climb on the rocks at Crazy Horse because it's mostly jagged so there's a lot of good foot placement and hand holds.


I mean, I did struggle at some points during the climb. I guess the fear of falling really kept me going.


At the top and securely tied in :)

See the horse's head?

In action!

Coming down

Sofie climbing next to me in the chimney.
Going to Crazy Horse I met Alan and Sofie, a couple from Australia. Alan is originally from Holland, and Sofie from France. They weren't taking a course, but just tagging along in the car to get to the rig. They were really nice! :)

In case I drop my ATC.
 So I also learned how to rappel myself down in case I drop my ATC or Grigri. It was really hard to take it apart though. :/

Fitting perfectly into the crack with my sexy curve ;)

Clearing the quickdraws on the way down from my last route of the day.
I also took a couple falls from my instructor, intentionally of course so I know how to take a fall. I took three falls actually: two with the ATC and one with Grigri 2. Let's just say I flew all three times. Almost to the first bolt, too! Hahaha! First time I didn't know what to expect and was really caught off guard, even though he shouted when he was falling.


The two times after that weren't bad. I flew, but I was more comfortable with doing it.


My next climbing day is on the 10th. And I'll be doing Technical Lead Climbing. So more things to learn! I'll be taking Thai Oil Massage classes for the next three day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment