Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 3: Crazy Horse Buttress

Today was pretty awesome! Despite the fact that I didn't really want to get up this morning, hehehe. The office is right next to my hotel so I kept rolling around on the bed before I really had to get up. :)


There was a couple (I think they're a couple) from Ireland going with me, although they're doing the introductory course. Then four others were the instructors, two to the couple and two to me. It took around 45mins to get to the climbing area by car. During the car ride one of the instructors, P'Add, was teaching how do a figure eight.


I learned how to do two more knots, but I can't remember what they're called. I'm so bad with technical terms, I just remember how to do them.


The entrance to the climbing area.
Looks so serene and peaceful.
DO NOT be fooled by this beautiful atmosphere. There are mosquitoes EVERYWHERE!! The moment we got to the base of the climb literally at least 10 mosquitoes were swarming me. I couldn't have had enough arms to swat them away. Thankfully P'Muad, my instructor, offered me bug repellent. After that, it became pleasant. :) Still lots of bugs though.

This random wild chicken just hanging around.

Oh, look! A welcome sign! :)
Crazy Horse Buttress
I climbed four routes overall, two outside and two in a cave. First, P'Muad started by teaching me the steps in clearing anchors on a test ground (this extremely short route with a couple anchors). After showing it to me two times, he got me to do it two times by myself. Then he taught me how to lead belay. And I was climbing after that. :)


Well, clearing anchors really but that's still climbing!


First route that I climbed. (5.7)
Me taking out one of the quickdraws :)

Climbing!

Rappelling down, like a boss! ;)

Second route I climbed (5.8)

A view from the top :)
Entrance to the cave!
When we were eating lunch thunder started rumbling. So we decided to move into the cave instead. I asked why there were bamboos at the entrance, and P'Add said the villagers put them there. They would catch bats coming out of the cave through the opening. Apparently they eat bats here too. :S

The second route I climbed in the cave.
P'Moad leading it here.
It was really still in the cave. You'll understand what I mean if you've ever been in one. I was sweating like crazy. By the end of the day I was literally a friggin' salt lick. A bee was following me around trying to land on my leg. P'Bo said that it was trying to take my salt. -_-


I was so tired in the end that when I finally climbed to the top of my last route in the cave, I couldn't pull myself up enough to take down the last anchors so I can rappel down. I had to just sit there for a few minutes before pulling myself up to do the last task. Hahaha!


Got back to the hotel around 5pm and I decided not to shower because I'll probably be sweating again when I eat dinner. So I left to eat dinner right after I dropped a few things off at the room.


I had "rad naa" today. Soooo good! It's this noodle dish with a semi slimy soup, pork, and veggies. If there's anything I love as much as seafood (maybe even more), it's noodle dishes! Noodles!!!!


Rad Naa! Yummm
It feels soooo good to be climbing again. I had a lot of fun today despite all the bugs and mosquito bites! More climbing tomorrow. I'll be learning how to lead climb tomorrow, the basics anyway. Let's hope my muscles aren't too overworked just yet, hehehe.


Happy me climbing :D

No comments:

Post a Comment