Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Lembeh Strait: Arrival


Another summer, another adventure to be had!

This time I'm going muck diving at Lembeh Strait in Indonesia. It's my first time, but apparently my mom's third. I recently just found out muck diving is basically diving in trash and what has been explained to me as icky water.

But, alas! Many weird and wonderful creatures await to be seen and photographed. From her previous dives, my mom has captured many frogfish (including the hairy frogfish), nudibranches, an assortment of crabs, the poisonous blue-ringed octopus, the flamboyant cuttlefish (which is also poisonous), and many more.

Now, to chronicle the trip thus far...

We are staying at a resort called Kungkungan Bay Resort. The resort itself is two hours away by car from Manado Airport. Thankfully, the resort offers a complimentary pick up service from the airport.

After two hours of sitting in the car, which turned out to be quite pleasant with the help of my iPod and the rugged scenery of Indonesian life, we arrived at Kungkungan.

My first impression: small and bucolic. Which, depending on individual taste, can be good or bad. In my case, I love it. I hate big crowds and the inevitable competition of all sorts when large amount of people are involved. People compete for dive spots, photo ops, towels, and even food at the buffet table. Wives compete to look better in their colorful sorong, bikini, sunglasses, wide-brimmed, summer hats, and horribly sunburned tan.

To all of that I say, no, thank you!

It is also a great pleasure when I found out Kungkungan has a spa. Quaint little dive resort with a spa? Yes, please!

Another plus is that the resort is right by the water. We're staying in a one bedroom house 20 steps away from the jetty. It is spacious and comfortable. The windows face the strait, and there is a bunch of natural light.

Here are the pictures of the gorgeous interior of our dwelling:


Here is the entryway.

Another angle of the T.V. by the entrance.
Lots of windows, yay!
A view out the windows, to the left.

A view out the windows, to the right.

The bed with its own window by its side.
There's also another bed in the room, which my mom claimed.

The bathroom sink area.
The toilet, in front of the sink area.

The stone shower area, next to the toilet.
So far, so good! I start diving tomorrow. So we'll see how that goes, considering I haven't dived since November. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment